Saturday, March 27, 2010

Camparison: Cheap Oil v. DoTerra

So, Lindsay called me yesterday and said, "Hey, they sell essential oils at the health food store. What's the difference? They are so much cheaper. Can we just buy those?"

I knew what Lizza would say. I knew what the DoTerra people would say, but I didn't really know. So, today I went to Good Earth food store in American Fork and bought 3 essential oils. I bought small bottles of Clove Bud, Peppermint, and Chamomile.

Well, the short story is: they suck. I'm returning them.

The long story goes like this: the first thing I noticed when I got home was what all three bottles say "For external uses only" in tiny letters on the side. Ah, that doesn't make sense. Isn't the whole game here the idea that the oils seep into your body and change your chemical make up? In my mouth or on my feet, it is all going in my body, right? Also, the external use red flag tells me that these oils are not safe for my kids and might have anything else in them. One bottle actually said 100% Pure Essential Oil, but the Web site said the Chamomile is mixed with another oil to make it cheaper. Dear me.

The other huge red flag for me was the smell of these oils. They did not smell pure. Now the DoTerra sales person said that a real essential oils feels like it goes right to your brain when you smell it. I thought she was full of crap until I tried it with the DoTerra oils, and it was totally true. I did not feel that way with these cheaper oils. That did not have the strong, pure and natural feeling.

So, basically, I am not comfortable with oils that I can not eat. I mentioned before that I am still trying to increase my faith that rubbing oil on my body does anything. So, of course, external use only is out of the picture.

I did not touch the cheap oils. I only opened the bottles, smelled them and read about them on various Web sites. I am going to try to take them back. The total cost of the three bottles was probably $24. Sweet. When I get my money back, I can buy an oil from Lizza.

I surrender.

Don't tell Tim.

No comments:

Post a Comment